Finding Your Dream Dress
Yah your engaged! Your engagement is such a fun time, there’s so many lovely treats in store for you and shopping or your dress is just one of them. But where to start? Here’s our top tips to help you on your way to finding your dream dress.
Do some research for inspiration and begin to pull together your unique wedding style
- Look at websites like Pinterest or The Knot and start your own secret boards to show your stylist at your consultation.
- Buy a couple of Bridal magazines – digital or hardcopy. Or even more fun grab a couple of second hand ones to inspire an vintage vibe.
- Read the great wedding blogs – there are hundreds of bridal blogs online – some great ones include Style Me Pretty, Ruffled and Green Wedding Shoes
Envision Your Wedding
Before you set out to try on some gowns spend a Sunday afternoon enjoying a glass of wine and a daydream. Try to envision what you want wedding day to be like, how will you feel and how will your fiance feel? What will your dress look like and what do you want your guests to remember? Jot down a list of words to describe not only the dress of your dreams but also your dream wedding….
Don’t worry about the bridal lingo, your bridal consultant is here to help you put your dreams into reality. We just want to understand your vision.
Consider the Dress Silhouettes
There are 5 main dress silhouettes and they all have unique construction elements that work for different body types. It’s worth having a look at what’s in your closet already to see what silhouettes you usually buy and then check out the list below and have a think about what might work best for your shape and your wedding style.
- Ball gown – have very full skirts and look beautiful on any body type. For petite brides – bear in mind the volume of fabric with a ball gown can be quite overwhelming on your small frame so go for a lighter fabric like organza rather than satin.
- A-line – these gowns have a fitted bodice with a skirt that gently flares from the natural waistline forming an ‘A’ shape. A line dresses are very flattering on all body type and are by far the most popular dress silhouette. Modified A lines have a dropped waist line and the skirt flares from just on the hip line – there are very flattering too and work well with a corset lace p to give you an enviable flat tummy.
- Sheath – a great gown for a slim girls with a balanced figure. If you are self conscious about your figure this style is not the best for you as this gown will not hide any flaws. But if you’ve got a sleek line and like a simple style this is a great choice!
- Empire – think Pride and Prejudice. This silhouette has a skirt that falls from just below the bust line and is excellent for fuller figured brides and pregnant brides. It gives extra room through the waistline making it a very comfortable gown.
- Fit ‘n’ Flare – the perfect style for if you want to show off your curves! The Fit ‘n’ Flare is fitted all the way to mid-thigh and gently flares to the floor. A true mermaid style flares from the knee quite dramatically. These are glamorous dresses, ideal for brides wanting to make a statement.
Your Bridal Consultation
- Don’t be nervous , its not as scary as it seems. Your consultant will help you find the silhouette that suits you best and also if white or ivory is the colour for you.
- Be open minded – gowns look totally different off the hanger so don’t be afraid to give different styles a go.
- Don’t be scared if you fall in love with a dress on your 1st appointment. Believe it or not a lot of brides purchase the very first wedding gown they put on and over half buy in their first appointment.
- If you feel beautiful in a dress – then buy it! No matter what the style of wedding you are having or how long before your wedding – if you feel beautiful in it you will be glowing on the day. Don’t be fooled into thinking you have to try on 10 or even 20 dresses to find the perfect one. Trust us – you’ll only get more confused. Trust your instincts and Say Yes to The Dress!